St. Andrew’s Refugee Services (StARS) Jobs in Egypt : Resettlement Legal Officer
Welcome to JobwebEgypt.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Egypt. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: St. Andrew’s Refugee Services (StARS)
- Location: Egypt
- State: Egypt
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Egypt
StARS’ Mission: Driven by a commitment to justice and fairness, StARS works as displaced people and for displaced people to respect human dignity and enhance quality of life.
StARS’ Vision: Displaced people lead in the creation and implementation of responses to different forms of migration to establish safe, just, welcoming, and inclusive communities globally.
Project Description: Refugee Legal Aid Services
The Refugee Legal Aid Services (RLAS) provides advice and representation to refugees seeking recognition by UNHCR through refugee status determination procedures in Egypt and assists refugees in accessing resettlement to safe third countries. RLAS is seeking a Resettlement Legal Officer to assist vulnerable refugees in their resettlement process.
Under the supervision of the RLAS Resettlement Coordinator, the RLAS Resettlement Legal Officer is responsible for the provision of legal advice and representation to urban refugees in matters related to resettlement. This includes: assessment of initial requests for assistance with resettlement; the screening of cases to identify those of heightened vulnerability fitting UNHCR’s resettlement criteria; drafting referral documents in support of claims for resettlement; reviewing intake screenings of volunteer legal advisors; and providing advice to refugees in all matters related to resettlement through drop-in services. The RLAS Resettlement Legal Officer is also expected to contribute to advocacy efforts regarding the urban refugee population and to supervise and train volunteer staff. The RLAS Resettlement Legal Officer is a member of a team of approximately 20 legal staff and reports to the RLAS Resettlement Coordinator.
All duties are carried out under the supervision of the RLAS Resettlement Coordinator.
Legal and Technical
- To develop and supervise the screening and intake of potential clients for representation in resettlement matters.
- To prepare seven to ten resettlement referrals per month.
- To maintain good working knowledge of UNHCR policies and procedures in resettlement matters.
- To assist in the review and preparation of resettlement referrals to both the African/Iraqi and Syrian Resettlement Units at UNHCR.
- To identify cases appropriate for expedited consideration by UNHCR and to draft such requests.
- To assist with follow-up communication and inquiries to UNHCR’s African/Iraqi and Syrian Resettlement Units regarding resettlement cases.
- To provide general legal counseling and assistance to refugees regarding their applications for registration, protection, and resettlement before UNHCR.
- To undertake country of origin research in support of individual claims and for general organizational research purposes. To maintain good working knowledge of the current political and social situations in the countries of origin of StARS’ clients.
- To assess extra-legal client needs and refer to other StARS teams or external organizations as appropriate.
- To undertake comprehensive case management practices including maintaining and updating electronic databases and records for each client, and keeping detailed notes of all casework activities.
- To adhere to the Nairobi Code of Ethics, the StARS Policies and Procedures Manual, and the StARS Code of Conduct.
- To assist the RLAS Resettlement Coordinator in development and implementation of team policies and procedures.
- To provide case reporting data to the RLAS Resettlement Coordinator as requested for purposes of accurately reporting work to senior management, funders, and others.
- To attend and contribute to RLAS meetings and other staff meetings.
- To build and maintain strong relationships with refugee communities in Cairo.
- To build and maintain relationships with psychosocial and education staff and operational partners.
- To assist the RLAS Resettlement Coordinator in the recruitment of volunteer legal advisors and other staff.
- To assist the RLAS Resettlement Coordinator in conducting intensive one to two week training for new volunteers two to three times per year.
- Under the supervision of the Resettlement Coordinator, to assist in the supervision of volunteer legal advisors in resettlement legal work.
- To assist the RLAS Resettlement Coordinator in the management of volunteer caseloads, and the provision of case specific advice.
- To engage proactively in promoting self-care among volunteers and other staff.
- To ensure high quality legal advice and representation and a refugee rights-based approach.
- To undergo probation and regular performance appraisals.
- To communicate regularly with the Resettlement Coordinator, reporting on all major issues and developments in the field and within RLAS.
- To promote information-sharing within RLAS and StARS on all issues affecting the populations we serve.
Qualifications & Experience
The ideal candidate will be energetic, articulate, and comfortable interacting with diverse segments of society. She or he will have demonstrated a firm commitment to human rights and refugee issues.
- English being the official language of UNHCR Cairo and StARS, the RLAS Resettlement Legal Officer must be fluent in oral and written English.
- Fluency in Arabic or a refugee language is an advantage.
- Master’s degree in a related field (international development, international law, development studies, Middle East Studies) OR a qualified lawyer in any jurisdiction (J.D., LLB or equivalent) OR a minimum of one year of experience in representing refugees in the resettlement or RSD processes OR two years of experience providing direct representation to indigent people in any setting.
- Excellent legal research and drafting skills.
- Knowledge of UNHCR guidelines and procedures, especially resettlement criteria.
- Knowledge of the general protection situation and vulnerabilities of refugees in Egypt.
- A demonstrated commitment to and sensitivity toward vulnerable or displaced people.
- Ability to live and work in a fluid security environment.
- Proven experience drafting client affidavits and legal arguments.
- Ability to exercise sound legal judgment, well organized, self-motivated, and reliable.
- Demonstrated compassion for refugees and displaced people.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team as well as individually.
- A positive attitude and sensitive manner when dealing with clients including a range of interviewing skills for dealing with challenging scenarios, particularly in advocating for survivors of violence, trafficking, torture, and SGBV.
- Experience designing and conducting trainings for non-technical audiences.
- Managerial experience or familiarity with volunteer oversight.
- Life and work experience in the Middle East or Egypt or with an urban refugee population.
Hours: 40 hour work week (Sunday – Thursday), and other hours and overtime as required.
Supervised by: RLAS Resettlement Coordinator
Salary: 4,600 EGP/month, rising to 4,900 EGP/month following successful completion of a three-month probationary period, with 4,020 EGP/year medical allowance and 100 EGP saving contribution following completion of the probationary period.
Benefits: All StARS official benefit policies as stipulated in StARS Policies & Procedures Manual.
Closing date for applications: Wednesday, 1 January 2020
Anticipated starting date: January/February 2020
This position is subject to a three-month probationary period, at which time the employee’s performance will be reviewed and probation may be extended.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter included references (referees will only be contacted after Interviews), CV, and brief legal writing sample to [email protected]
Please write “Resettlement Legal Officer” in the subject line. Only shortlisted will be contacted after deadline.
How to Apply
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Egypt. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE
Job Expires in: 64 days